Author Topic: Motor Law Answers  (Read 5580 times)

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
Motor Law Answers
« on: March 03, 2014, 09:21:42 PM »
Here's a useful website that contains Q & A's on motoring law.

Might be a useful quick reference site for guidance on common questions. 

http://www.motorlawanswers.co.uk/
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

The NH Youtube Channel - w w w. youtube.com/user/naggedhusband1

aberthaw01

• Elite Member
  • Taken from us far too soon
    • Gintys Tattooland Uk
Re: Motor Law Answers
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 06:35:54 PM »
That's a good link :thumb

GINTYS TATTOOLAND UK

HAROLD BLUERACER

• Elite Member
  • TARMAC THE BEST TATTOO REMOVER
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 06:40:45 PM »
Very useful information there
Flat Out Is The Way To Go

Lewey

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 11:21:51 PM »
What about parking for motorbikes? Or does it change from town to town..

I have never just left my bike parked on a curb or next to cyclist railings, regardless of seeing lots of other bikers do it. I am just uncertain regarding where I can/can't park, and how to display a ticket when required (without it blowing away or being purposely removed)...
VFR800-A8

BOMBDOCTOR

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 09:08:41 AM »
If I have to park and it needs a ticket, I place it in the windshield and take a photo of it, showing the date and time. :thumbup2

sdwboss

• Elite Member
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 01:33:25 PM »
If I have to park and it needs a ticket, I place it in the windshield and take a photo of it, showing the date and time. :thumbup2

Good plan :thumbup2

I tend to, er, forget :flag

festa

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 02:00:55 AM »
what is the crack with non bstandard helmets

Poomahloo

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 02:03:59 AM »

as i understand it, and i could be wrong here but if your helmet dosnt meet standard set out then legally it isnt a helmet, think the idea is to stop you riding around with a bucket on your head saying its a helmet

Foody

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 09:02:18 AM »

as i understand it, and i could be wrong here but if your helmet dosnt meet standard set out then legally it isnt a helmet, think the idea is to stop you riding around with a bucket on your head saying its a helmet

If you check the Gov.Uk website it says that the helmet must be to "British Standard .... carry the EU mark Regulation 22.05"

But the law books used to go on in more details and say that if the helmet wasn't approved to BS then it must give you equal or greater protection than one that is.

So if you buy a helmet from the USA for example who have their own DOT test rating system it wouldn't be legal in the UK unless you could prove that it gave you "equal or greater protection" etc.

I bought a helmet in the USA but it was also rated to EU R22.05 so is legal.

The only time you would fall foul of this if you suffer a serious or fatal head injury in a crash and the helemt is tested after the event.  If your lid is not legal you or your family would get a greatly reduced pay out I guess.

One of the serving Traffic Cop guys who works for me says that he can't ever remember anyone ever checking the rating on a Biker's lid at the road side stop.

But every serious bump they get sent away for testing.

Now I haven't read a Law Book for quite some time so whether the proviso of "equal or greater protection..." still applies you would have to get to the reference library and check out the latest edition of 'Stones Justices Manual' to find out.

festa

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 11:52:41 PM »

If you check the Gov.Uk website it says that the helmet must be to "British Standard .... carry the EU mark Regulation 22.05"

But the law books used to go on in more details and say that if the helmet wasn't approved to BS then it must give you equal or greater protection than one that is.

So if you buy a helmet from the USA for example who have their own DOT test rating system it wouldn't be legal in the UK unless you could prove that it gave you "equal or greater protection" etc.

I bought a helmet in the USA but it was also rated to EU R22.05 so is legal.

The only time you would fall foul of this if you suffer a serious or fatal head injury in a crash and the helemt is tested after the event.  If your lid is not legal you or your family would get a greatly reduced pay out I guess.

One of the serving Traffic Cop guys who works for me says that he can't ever remember anyone ever checking the rating on a Biker's lid at the road side stop.

But every serious bump they get sent away for testing.

Now I haven't read a Law Book for quite some time so whether the proviso of "equal or greater protection..." still applies you would have to get to the reference library and check out the latest edition of 'Stones Justices Manual' to find out.

now then makes allot of sense  to me but does not ring totally true as several years ago i was pulled  just to check my visor and as i was doing a shop friend a favour caused allot inconvenience to get everything  sorted out and  the  reason i was stopped got lost in the process !!

ironic huh?

so you can see where i'm coming from with taking a form over function helmet ??

festa

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 02:21:34 AM »
so no other advise  ????

Jerry BB

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 09:15:35 AM »
What about parking for motorbikes? Or does it change from town to town..

I have never just left my bike parked on a curb or next to cyclist railings, regardless of seeing lots of other bikers do it. I am just uncertain regarding where I can/can't park, and how to display a ticket when required (without it blowing away or being purposely removed)...

At one time I lived on a road in Cardiff on which they put permit holder only parking in front of my house and I applied to the council for a permit for my Suzuki and they replied that they did not do permits for bikes and that I could therefore park there without fear of being ticketed and this was also confirmed by a warden one day when I was parking in another car parking zone.

I am not sure if I would do this these days in a strange town as though in the end I might win the case the hassle would probably not be worth it.

Regards,  Jerry BB.