Author Topic: What bikes will fit me?  (Read 6980 times)

sdwboss

• Elite Member
  • Every day's a school day
What bikes will fit me?
« on: July 31, 2014, 01:19:06 PM »
Anyone ever used this site? It's fantastic for comparing the sitting position of bikes!!!

http://cycle-ergo.com/

You can adjust for overall rider height, inseam length, and overlay two bikes together on one image, very impressive!

Thanks to Tippon for mentioning it in a post, I thought it deserved its own thread to spread the work, though!

Now I can see exactly how much more leaned forward my CBR600 F4i is than an 02 to 09 VFR800, for instance :thumbup2
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:51:06 PM by sdwboss »

kettle feet

• Elite Member
Re: cycle-ergo.com
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 01:25:06 PM »
Seen it before but by the looks of things I own a mini moto lol

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 01:33:38 PM »
Interesting site this.   :thumb

I've made it a sticky as it would be useful for both new riders trying to decide on their first bike, and also those looking at changing their bike. 

I like the way you can roll the wheel on the mouse and it graduates from one image to the next so you can see the riding position actually moving between bikes.

Of course it depends on individuals size etc but it's a really useful guide though.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

The NH Youtube Channel - w w w. youtube.com/user/naggedhusband1

Welldai634

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 01:44:19 PM »
Interesting comparisons. My RC8 is almost identical to a R1!

sdwboss

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 01:49:12 PM »
Of course it depends on individuals size etc but it's a really useful guide though.

You can enter the rider's overall height and inside leg measurement and the picture adjusts, which is what Kettle feet has done by the looks of it!

Interesting comparisons. My RC8 is almost identical to a R1!

Hmm there's an R1 for sale on here somewhere, 1 careful owner from new, and then a few lunatic owners as well! :tongue

Welldai634

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 01:50:52 PM »
 :lol2 :lol2

sdwboss

• Elite Member
Re: What bikes will fit me?
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 01:51:53 PM »
Changed the thread title to make it easier to find :thumbup2

T140dave

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 02:05:14 AM »
Ha, I should have checked this site out before I bought the TEX.. But then again if I only bought bikes I can flat foot on i'd be stuck with 250cc cruisers. Not so good for my ruffty tuffty image.
A gentleman is a man who knows how to play the accordion, but doesn't - Tom Waits

sdwboss

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 03:37:20 PM »
Ha, I should have checked this site out before I bought the TEX.. But then again if I only bought bikes I can flat foot on i'd be stuck with 250cc cruisers. Not so good for my ruffty tuffty image.
It's surprising how many bikers I see out n about on large machines, who can only tippy-toe at junctions. :clap

HAROLD BLUERACER

• Elite Member
  • TARMAC THE BEST TATTOO REMOVER
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 04:04:47 PM »
Is there a reason why you can't tippy toe on a bike as long as you are comfortable doing it
Flat Out Is The Way To Go

sdwboss

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 05:05:16 PM »
Is there a reason why you can't tippy toe on a bike as long as you are comfortable doing it
No absolutely not, more power to them :thumbup2 There are certainly bikes I'd be terrified to move around, and I'm quite long-legged.

It's just that when I see a powerful adventure bike or a big loud sports bike coming up the road, I imagine some scary, tall man-mountain to be at the helm of such a beast. However, often as not, it throws that image out the window when their toes are going pitter-patter on the tarmac :hysteria

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 06:18:26 PM »
Even if you can reach the ground ok I'll offer a little tip that  comes from experience.

If you're in stop start traffic don't ride too close to the vehicle in front. If it happens to stop leaving you with the front wheel up on a speed hump it's time to pray.   :glum   :sad

sdwboss

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 06:31:08 PM »
Even if you can reach the ground ok I'll offer a little tip that  comes from experience.

If you're in stop start traffic don't ride too close to the vehicle in front. If it happens to stop leaving you with the front wheel up on a speed hump it's time to pray.   :glum   :sad

Haha! Yes I did that on a Bandit (seat adjusted to highest position), I won't be making the same mistake again! :hysteria

Tippon

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 08:17:01 PM »

It can be dangerous. If there's a camber to the road or a pothole, or as NH says, you get caught out on a speed bump, you're going down :sad

Saying that though, I saw a guy riding through Mountain Ash on a bike that was so oversized for him that he couldn't stop without practically getting off the bike. For his foot to reach the floor the back of his knee was at the edge of the seat! :rofl

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 09:49:32 PM »
Just a reminder about this thread as I recon it's pretty useful, especially for old cretins with aches and pains like Cheesy.  :bgrin

... ok... and me as well...  :glum