Author Topic: Touring Short Stories  (Read 6707 times)

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
Touring Short Stories
« on: August 10, 2014, 01:56:23 PM »
As quite a few members have spent time touring abroad there must quite a few interesting or amusing little stories worth telling. So I thought Iíd start a thread to give the opportunity for some of these to be aired.

Itís surprising how many times Iíve been asked how I manage riding abroad when I canít speak the local language. Itís very easy really, hand gestures and a bit of imagination are all you generally need.

In Spain I set off on a lone ride one afternoon and just explored the areaÖ visited Salamanca, took a look at the cathedral, had a drink in a cafe, and generally rode around mostly with no idea where I was exactly. I only knew about six words of Spanish which included yes, no, petrol, and beer.

On the way back to the hotel I rode through miles of flat open country and came across a little village of terraced houses in the middle of nowhere, as usual it was pretty deserted. Being pretty hot I needed a drink again but there was no shop to be seen anywhere. I parked up in the shade and just took in the atmosphere of the place.

Then I noticed that over the course of about ten minutes a couple of men had wandered down the road and all gone into the same terraced house. Out of curiosity I rode a bit closer and parked up across the road.

The house door was open but it had a flyscreen across it so I couldnít see inside. After another man disappeared into it I decided maybe it might be a bar or something. I decided to take a chance and wandered over. I pushed through the fly screen and walked into what was a very small room. It could well have been someones living room for all I knew but you have to find out donít you ?  :dunno

Inside there was a tiny bar in the corner and half a dozen old Spanish blokes watching bullfighting on the tv over a beer. I pointed to a Coke, paid for it, and went outside. Down the alley alongside the house I found a table and two chairs so sat down in the shade and drank my Coke. After ten minutes a Spanish bloke came down the alley, sat in the other chair, pointed to my bike and started jabbering away in Spanish with a big smile on his face.

We Ďchattedí away for about twenty minutes using nothing more than hand gestures, until I decided it was time to head off and try and find my way back to the hotel. We shook hands and off I went, finding my way back to the hotel about an hour later.

I suppose what Iím illustrating with this little story is you donít need to worry about speaking the local language to tour somewhere. Donít limit your horizons by only riding to places that speak English, or that are as reassuringly similar to home.

The only point I would make however is this, ensure that if you have to phone your recovery telephone number in the event of something going wrong, check beforehand that the people taking the call will be English speaking.  And that oneís something I once learned from experience on a different tour !  :rofl

So who else has a little story to tell ?  :)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 02:02:01 PM by NH »
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

The NH Youtube Channel - w w w. youtube.com/user/naggedhusband1

Frequent Flyer

Re: Touring Short Stories
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 02:20:46 PM »
Rode to the nurburgring and Black Forest in 2012 on my Daytona - got 10km's out of spa on the German border when my cf jardine-rt 1 dropped the end cap and spat out its guts all over a high speed b-road... Spent the next 2hrs looking for said parts in the hedgerow, eventually finding the cap, 2-1 splitter and baffling insulation in the ditch/grass/trees. Onwards to blankenheim, stopped to ask two local engineers for directions "ist das ein zweitakt?" (Is that a two-stroke?) - sounding like a 500cc gp bike without the baffling and straight through pipe...

Asked at gaststatte about a bike shop, no luck (bank holiday) but wait - there is someone who tinkers with cars a bit... Cue next morning, old guy (75ish) in clean overalls, white handlebar moustache and an alladins cave - motor racing trophies, pics of frog eye sprites all over the walls, metric and imperial tools all laid out exactly where they should be and 3 ford A's. 2 pristine, one being done up from a rusting hulk bei dem herr mechaniker... "Do you mind if I have a look..." "Errr... Do what you want!" Was my reply. 20 mins later, exhaust better than new and off to the nurburgring. He wouldn't even let me buy him a beer, schnapps or cigar to say thanks. I want to be like this guy when I am old! Sent him an antique AA badge in the post instead!

On the way back, had dinner with general petraeus's IT guy in verdun and his bro, who happened to be a director of general dynamics... And stayed in a castle in Baden-Baden for 35 euros. Not a bad trip - travel and you'll have an adventure one way or another and you will meet amazing people!

BOMBDOCTOR

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:44:23 AM »
5 of us on a trip through France & Belgium on our way to Arnhem.
Stopped for fuel about a Kilometre away from out Hotel in Ghent, where we all filled our tanks up..

However, 2 of the group..George & Jim put DIESEL in their tanks!!!!!!

40 minutes later, BD siphoning 2 full tanks of diesel out of the bikes and into the drain, thankfully the hotel barman gave us a 6 foot length of piping to get the diesel out.
Topped off with Petrol, and 2 bikes being ridden around the car park among clouds of white smoke to flush the crap out.

BluprintZ

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 10:29:35 AM »
Ok, it's an old thread but you are asking for touring stories, so here's mine.....but more about my mates experience really.
August 2009, i'm on my Ducati 900 Monster, my mate and his missus are on their BMW R1200GS.
We are off to Spa to watch the F1 race, then on to Italy for the MotoGP round.....i didn't make it to Italy, due to a twisted knee when the bike slid on some gravel on a slow bend, i stupidly thought i could stop the bike going over by putting my leg out, it didn't work!
I rested the leg for a few days in the B&B in Belgium, while my mate and his missus carried on to Italy.
They were somewhere over the alps, near to Italy when the oil seal in the diff decided to let go, so they limped to a cafe and sat deciding what to do, when three Italian guys on BM's wandered over and asked (in pigeon english) what the problem was.
One of the guys said to follow him, so off they went and eventually get to the guys house, the garage was under the house and resembled the Mayo clinic, spotless.
The guy ushered matey and his lass upstairs, where they were offered a shower and food that his wife cooked for them, while the Italian guy worked on the GS in the garage.
An hour later, my mate wandered down to the garage, where the rear end of the GS had just be re-built, with not only a new diff but also a new rear shock, they Italian guy reckoned it wouldn't have got them home, as that was showing signs of failure.
The bill came to something ridiculously low and my mate and his missus continued their journey.
Seems that the diffs on the earlier GS's, (my mates was a 2005 model), tended to have more oil than was needed, something like 250ml instead of 175ml, causing the diff to pressurise and so pop the seal, they also had no breather.

G.  :thumb
....life's a long song.

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 11:23:46 PM »
So, end of another years so who's got some touring stories to tel ?  :)

Andyccu1

• Elite Member
  • I love my chicken strips.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 11:58:57 PM »
Got one about a fridge?

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 07:45:12 AM »
Got one about a fridge?

I wouldn't if I were you.   :sad :sad :sad

BOMBDOCTOR

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 07:41:17 PM »
Got one about a fridge?

Pray do tell Andy..... :bgrin

Andyccu1

• Elite Member
  • I love my chicken strips.
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 07:58:20 PM »
Got one about a fridge?

Pray do tell Andy..... :bgrin

All I'll say is it involved sharing milk.  :hiding

HAROLD BLUERACER

• Elite Member
  • TARMAC THE BEST TATTOO REMOVER
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 02:30:39 PM »
Who's milk     :dunno2     I'm intrigued now
Flat Out Is The Way To Go

BOMBDOCTOR

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
Has NH mistaken Boobie milk for Moo juice? :hysteria

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 02:50:10 PM »
Back on topi please, stories only.  :read

BOMBDOCTOR

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 02:59:49 PM »
This is something that was told to Andy in confidence... Fair enough to Andy for refusing to say. :thumbup2

Bugger.... Thought we had the old sod for a moment there! :hysteria
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 03:44:53 PM by BOMBDOCTOR »

Tippon

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 04:54:02 PM »

All I'll say is it involved sharing milk.  :hiding

This isn't code is it? As in, it was a cold, wet night on tour, we accidentally only booked one room in a run down hostel with no heating, and we had to 'share milk' to stay warm...

They do say what goes on tour stays on tour :dunno :hysteria

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 04:59:02 PM »
And believe me it really does... end of !   :rofl

ps: Fridge was nothing to do with me.   :tongue