Author Topic: Tiger sport 1050  (Read 2764 times)

son_of_fuzzy

• Elite Member
  • "if you dont ride in the rain......you dont ride"
Tiger sport 1050
« on: February 24, 2015, 10:40:51 AM »
Ok so thought I would write a little review and share my thoughts on the tiger sport 1050 now that I have had some time to cover some miles and wear a rear tyre out.
First is the riding position, it's upright, spacious and comfortable. Never do yo feel cramped when riding, it's the type of bike you can easily cover some serious miles without having to get off and stretch the legs. At first I found the seat to be uncomfortable and caused a numb bum in a relatively short space of time. Now I don't know if this was me being used to my last bike or if it was a case of the seat being rather firm from being new? I have found this to get better over time and is no longer an issue. The suspension is good and fully adjustable and soaks up all the bumps that our deteriorating roads have to offer with ease. It is nothing but planted through every corner and bend you throw it at and totally confidence inspiring. It is quiet easy to achieve peg scraping angles without really trying( I know decent tyres have a part to play in this too )
The engine in my opinion is the star of the show it has bags of torque(enough to pull a house down) and will pull in practically any gear from anywhere in the Rev range. No matter what gear your in a bit of right wrist gets things moving rather effortlessly. You don't need to work the engine hard (max torque comes in nice and early just over 4k)  and it's silky smooth and sounds real nice (scorpion can fitted). Saying that, the revs are there if you want them. The gearbox is sure footed and throws no false neutrals that I have come across, maybe a little stiffer and not as slick as the kawasaki but nothing to worry about. The OEM tyres are great Pirelli Angel St and offer bags of grip wet or dry which helps with confidence again. The mirrors are good I have no problems seeing past my elbows, switch gear is great all easily found with gloved hands and easy to operate. It has self canceling indicators which is a nice touch and switchable abs. The brakes have plenty of stopping power and the abs is not intrusive at all but there when you need it. I had a few extras fitted panniers, hand guards and tyre pressure monitors. I haven't really used the panniers as of yet but there are no ugly frames to be seen when not fitted to the bike. The hand guards are great and like having forcefields around your hand, keeps a lot of rain and wind blast off. The tyre pressure monitors are great for a quick check on the move to make sure things are in order. One thing I haven't mentioned are the lights,  having had chance to test them quiet a bit in these darker months I have to admit they are great and do a great job of lighting the road. They have a good throw and light far enough ahead.
The bike may not have as many bells and whistles as some others, and not to everybodies taste, but if you are after this style of bike maybe worth a test ride?
I personally think the bike is great and delivers everything I need and more, and if I had the option to change my mind/bike I don't think that I would.
Never mistake horsepower for staying power!

son_of_fuzzy

• Elite Member
Re: Tiger sport 1050
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 11:39:12 AM »

Before zorst and hand guards fitted.

Jamsey

• Elite Member
  • aka JT aka Terry the Tash
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/jamestitanic
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 01:34:38 PM »
 :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

aberthaw01

• Elite Member
  • Taken from us far too soon
    • Gintys Tattooland Uk
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 01:40:44 PM »
Enjoyed reading that Lee  :cool :cool

GINTYS TATTOOLAND UK

son_of_fuzzy

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 03:32:18 PM »
Thanks guys. Cheesy did ask so thought I would oblige.

son_of_fuzzy

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 03:35:03 PM »
Just realised posted in wrong section. If NH wants to move to bike reviews the feel free  :thumb

HAROLD BLUERACER

• Elite Member
  • TARMAC THE BEST TATTOO REMOVER
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 04:00:14 PM »
Nice read good report
Flat Out Is The Way To Go

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 06:34:48 PM »
Good report S-o-F.  :cool

And thread moved.  :thumbup2
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

The NH Youtube Channel - w w w. youtube.com/user/naggedhusband1

son_of_fuzzy

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 06:41:08 PM »
Good report S-o-F.  :cool

And thread moved.  :thumbup2

Thanks mate  :thumbup2

snaffle

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 06:46:03 PM »
Good report  :clap
 I liked my Tiger and think the engine was fantastic. Unfortunately my model had crap suspension and my bike suffered every known 'niggle'. The panniers were useless for touring. It was a beauty to ride though and if the niggles hadn't infuriated me I would have kept it. Only went for the KTM as the explorer was heavier.
I've still got the adjuster for you, just need to catch up  :dunno

Cheesy Wotsits

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 07:38:44 PM »
Thanks a lot SOF. Great write up. Glad you're enjoying the bike. Don't think I'll be able to afford Explorer prices. And wish to move to a slightly lighter bike (hence the mt09 Tracer test ride) and more long distance comfort (for me and the missus) type bike. Have test ridden the Honda Crosstourer, Kawasaki versys 1000, Honda Varadero and a few others. But they're either too expensive or too heavy. Haven't test ridden any Triumphs to date. Because no local dealers. But having read that,  and also read how other owners are smitten with the 1050 sport, it's about time I put one to the test. Cheers m8.

"The Lunatics have Taken over the Asylum"

"The lunatics are taking over the asylum"

son_of_fuzzy

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 06:34:12 AM »
Good report  :clap
 I liked my Tiger and think the engine was fantastic. Unfortunately my model had crap suspension and my bike suffered every known 'niggle'. The panniers were useless for touring. It was a beauty to ride though and if the niggles hadn't infuriated me I would have kept it. Only went for the KTM as the explorer was heavier.
I've still got the adjuster for you, just need to catch up  :dunno

Thanks snaffle. Yeah it's been a while. Well if I don't see you before, hoping I will see you on ponderosa ride. Besides haven't had chance to look at that KTM of yours yet  :thumbup2

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 07:43:39 AM »
Maybe he'll bring it to the next meet... :popcorn
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

The NH Youtube Channel - w w w. youtube.com/user/naggedhusband1

son_of_fuzzy

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 07:44:14 AM »
Thanks a lot SOF. Great write up. Glad you're enjoying the bike. Don't think I'll be able to afford Explorer prices. And wish to move to a slightly lighter bike (hence the mt09 Tracer test ride) and more long distance comfort (for me and the missus) type bike. Have test ridden the Honda Crosstourer, Kawasaki versys 1000, Honda Varadero and a few others. But they're either too expensive or too heavy. Haven't test ridden any Triumphs to date. Because no local dealers. But having read that,  and also read how other owners are smitten with the 1050 sport, it's about time I put one to the test. Cheers m8.

"The Lunatics have Taken over the Asylum"

No problem mate. Like I said not to everyone's taste but certainly worth a test ride. It's a capable machine TBH.

son_of_fuzzy

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 07:45:11 AM »
Maybe he'll bring it to the next meet... :popcorn
There's a thought mate  :thumb