Author Topic: Shoei Neotec flip-front  (Read 2072 times)

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
Shoei Neotec flip-front
« on: January 16, 2016, 06:33:54 PM »
Well I finally got a chance to get out on the bike today so I went to M&P using a mix of country roads, A48, and the M4. First time out wearing the new lid so I was looking forward to seeing how much/if it was better than my Shoei fullface. Well here's my first impressions.

It's without question the most comfy helmet I've had. It's really well padded and fits me like a glove. Nice and tight on the top, sides, and cheeks. This makes it a very warm helmet, I was out for about five hours today and my head was always really warm, I can't imagine ever needing to wear a balaclava under it. The chin guard (removable) keeps out the wind very effectively as well and despite the temperature and wind blast at motorway speed (and a bit...  :rolleyes) my face was always warm without needing to put my neck buff up over it. You can't put it on or take it off with the flip-front down because it's such a tight fit around the base with it down, which is good as this is why it keeps your head so warm.

The ventilation is much better and more effective than the fullface as well. Slide back the single top vent and it instantly felt like someone had tipped a bucket of ice cubes over the top of my head. That will be perfect in the summer heat. The chin vent is also a great improvement, open it and you instantly feel a strong draft across your forehead so keeping the visor clear would never be a problem. Extra breeze to keep you cool in the summer too when the visor's down.

The internal sun visor is very useful and easy to flip up and down. You can also lower it just a little way at at time if you don't want it right down, useful if it's just a high sun you want to shield out. A very smooth and firm slide mechanism which is a lot better than some others I've tried.

The flip-front is very smooth and easy to raise and lower and has a strong locking mechanism. No draught and the visor seems a better fit than the fullface too. Again the Pinlock insert is larger than the one in the fullface and covers all of the viewable visor, and visibility overall seems better.

It has a ratchet chinstrap fitting rather than a D-ring but the ratchet is metal rather than plastic and so that's a good move.

Does it have wind noise... yes it does, but then if you ride at speed in wind then you'll get wind noise. :dunno  I usually ride with very effective earplugs and if I don't wear them I can hear all sorts of little squeaks and rattles as well as the engine and wind. I rode to Swansea without earplugs and I was really surprised that I could hear the engine but all the other small noises were gone completely. I guess that shows how much quieter this helmet is and how much peripheral noise it filters out. The wind noise is still there but not as loud as wearing the fullface. I used the earplugs for the trip back from M&P to Porthcawl for a coffee and this reduced wind noise further. However I left them out again for the ride from Porthcawl home and actually preferred riding without them.

Overall build quality seems extremely good as you'd expect from one of the top manufacturers, and the paint quality is again excellent.

So overall I'm well pleased with it and so glad I decided to take a chance and buy a flip-front. The only thing I'd do to improve it really would be to make the padding under the actual chinstrap about a half inch longer, this is a very minor observation though.

So all things considered I'd give it an 'Excellent' rating across the board.  :cool
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 11:46:36 PM by NH »
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

The NH Youtube Channel - w w w. youtube.com/user/naggedhusband1

Cheesy Wotsits

• Elite Member
Re: Shoei Neotec flip-front
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 06:53:11 PM »
Good write up Tony. Glad you like it.

You can't ride a thunderbolt without getting your arse burned!

"The lunatics are taking over the asylum"

HAROLD BLUERACER

• Elite Member
  • TARMAC THE BEST TATTOO REMOVER
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
Very good write up goes to show that the flip helmets have come along way
Flat Out Is The Way To Go

Benson-1215

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 05:37:07 PM »
Will take a look at one of these as I am in the market for a new lid this year.

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 05:37:16 PM »
Not as exciting as a bike write-up but for anyone considering a flip front I hope it helps.

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 05:58:28 PM »
Will take a look at one of these as I am in the market for a new lid this year.

With comfort it all depends on head shape and I seem to have a Shoei shaped head. Shop around for a deal as the normal price is 470 and most places sell at that. Thunder Road will give DB members a 10% discount which is great, but I happened to spot Helmet City had a special online sale of Shoei helmets so got it for 320.

HAROLD BLUERACER

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 12:47:08 PM »
I'd better not buy a new Helmet at the moment after the new leathers fiasco   :rofl    Still walking very carefully 

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 12:49:28 PM »
I'd better not buy a new Helmet at the moment after the new leathers fiasco   :rofl    Still walking very carefully

Should have got the next size up then.  :hysteria

HAROLD BLUERACER

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 12:59:53 PM »
 :lol2   Good reply NH 

festa

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 11:37:28 PM »
best have some new boots instead

HAROLD BLUERACER

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 01:21:30 PM »
Already got them

festa

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 04:44:31 PM »