Author Topic: Yamaha Super Tenere review  (Read 1979 times)

yoyo

• Elite Member
Yamaha Super Tenere review
« on: July 25, 2016, 11:03:56 PM »
Good to see there are more posts appearing here over the last couple of days, thought I'd add a quick review of the S10 now I've put 2,000 miles on it, that's actually more miles than I did last year in less than 3 months so I guess that says something!

I'd been deliberating about changing the Strom for a while, it did everything I needed but we came into some money and it was the only opportunity I'd have to buy a brand new bike.  The Explorer, GSA, new Strom and KTM had all been on the list of possibles, I really wanted a big bike and a shaft drive,  I didn't like the seating position on the Explorer, you seem to sit in it rather than on it, the GSA just isn't reliable enough and I couldn't put up with the pi$$ taking for having one.

Having read the reviews of the S10 they all say the more you ride them the better they get and they aren't wrong, wasn't difficult to ride but it was nothing special, running in is a pain, not letting it lug around at low revs etc but as soon as it was done it really came alive, it really catches you off guard how quickly you are going. 

It's a bloody heavy bike but it carries it's weight low down so you don't notice it, it's slow speed manners are fantastic,  I've done a bit of gravel on it and intend on doing a bit more. 

The bad bits, the engine is really noisy, it rattles like nothing else I've heard (well other than Joc McPlops who's sound the same) there was a small amount of buffeting, not a huge problem but it brought with it a lot of wind noise, a 35 screen extension sorted that out, I can now ride at 70mph with my visor open if I want.  A Yoshimura exhaust sorted the engine noise problem! When there is a Sat Nav attached the screen vibrates a lot, a pair of support bars fixed this.

That's it for bad bits, Im really happy with it, very comfortable, can do long runs without stopping, which you don't have to do very often, 23L tank, when breaking it in I managed 64.9mpg!! A recent run up to Worcester and back, lot's of motorway on the way up and it returned 58mpg on the bike's computer which worked out at 53.9 with a calculator. Did the same trip on my Strom last year and got 37mpg. Riding a bike is about smiles but using less fuel means you can go further!

If you are thinking of an Adventure/Tourer and don't know which was to go, give one of these a try (along with all the others)

Here are some pics

Screen Brace

Screen Extension

Jason

• Elite Member
Re: Yamaha Super Tenere review
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 08:33:11 AM »
Glad your getting on with it Ade, nice colour that too

Sheepracer

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 10:53:21 AM »
Makes a refreshing change to have a Jap adventure bike👍🏽

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yoyo

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 01:14:30 PM »
Cheers Jase, that's the only issue with Yamaha is the limited colours they do, 2 colours every 2 years. I've had it leant over further than the Strom, it's just easy to ride

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thedarksider

• Elite Member
  • Peaceful Hooligan
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 01:33:43 PM »
I've had it leant over further than the Strom, it's just easy to ride

I've heard mr mcplop rides his like he stole it, even with a pillion, and gets it over to some crazy angles :crazy

yoyo

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 01:36:13 PM »
I've had it leant over further than the Strom, it's just easy to ride

I've heard mr mcplop rides his like he stole it, even with a pillion, and gets it over to some crazy angles :crazy
Fecking nutcase, he forgets it's not a ZX10

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

iluvfosters

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 05:41:55 PM »
Nead to get it dirty.an adventure day.if jase is going one

Jason

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 08:29:47 PM »
will organise one in the next few weeks :)

yoyo

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 08:33:02 PM »
Not in the next two though eh  :eyebrows

HAROLD BLUERACER

• Elite Member
  • TARMAC THE BEST TATTOO REMOVER
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 08:33:42 PM »
Nice write up there    :thumb 
Flat Out Is The Way To Go

Jason

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 08:51:07 PM »

:bgrin

Phoenix

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 09:59:32 PM »

:bgrin

Are you taking the spoke kit over for Block or did he manage to track one down in France, not sure I would want to do the ring with a missing spoke
I don't care what you think about me, I don't think about you at all !!

yoyo

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 10:08:18 PM »
Bloody things only come as a set, I'm hoping he's found a dealer that'll supply him just one but there are 3 different lengths. I've told him to cable tie the rest just in case he loses another one!

Phoenix

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 10:16:12 PM »
Phil Onions from CMC rang me to say he had a kit there but couldn't get hold of Block, so when I spoke to Jan she said she might have to buy that and get Jason to pass it on when he goes over, I'm sure he said it 97 and has 3 spokes which sounds bloody expensive to me
I don't care what you think about me, I don't think about you at all !!

Jason

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 10:19:32 PM »
When i spoke to him yesterday he said he had a full set waiting for him at Thunder road and may be coming home tomorrow anyway