Author Topic: Northern France war sites.  (Read 1539 times)

Andyccu1

• Elite Member
  • I love my chicken strips.
Northern France war sites.
« on: October 25, 2016, 10:16:57 PM »
I know a few of you have been over and toured round some of the war sites.
I'm planning on a few days, possibly a week next year and need some recommendations.

Where are the must see places.

Thankyou in advance.

Stevie W

• Elite Member
  • He who dies with the most toys wins.
Re: Northern France war sites.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 12:50:32 AM »
The Vimy Ridge is an interesting site well worth a visit and not too far from Calais.
Adventure Bikes are like Garlic Bread "I've tasted it,  It's the future".

Bikenav

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 01:06:13 PM »
how far do you intend going, The Somme ? Belgium(Ypres) as well perhaps? WW1 and WW2? Normandy(D-Day)? narrow it down a little  and I will try and make some suggestions. A military history buff myself so been to most, but even for me to do it all in one trip would be overload. Followed a little of the Maginot Line as part of a trip to the Vosges last month.   
                                                                                                              Paul

Earl

• Hi there how's it going
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 02:43:49 PM »
Ive been to vimy ridge also hill 60 and lots of others

Also the Australian cemented was good too
Live to ride ride to live, you have one life live it

Andyccu1

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 03:52:43 PM »
how far do you intend going, The Somme ? Belgium(Ypres) as well perhaps? WW1 and WW2? Normandy(D-Day)? narrow it down a little  and I will try and make some suggestions. A military history buff myself so been to most, but even for me to do it all in one trip would be overload. Followed a little of the Maginot Line as part of a trip to the Vosges last month.   
                                                                                                              Paul

Planning on long weekend. So limited in what we do.

Kie

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 07:27:18 PM »
I would agree with Vimy Ridge and Sanctuary wood (hill 62) I'd put these as top of my list if I went over again.

Bikenav

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 11:12:39 PM »
so if only a weekend I presume your crossing to Dover/Dunkirk and not Normandy. So I would consider basing yourself near Albert which is near the Somme battlefields and has its own museum, also visit perhaps the Welsh memorial at Mametz Wood and the massive Thiepval Memorial to the missing 72,000 and maybe the Lochnagar crater. If you have time a second base could be Ypres which is actually in Flanders, Belgium if you do go there, it is a real nice town(all rebuilt post WW1) in its own right you must go to the last post ceremoney every night at 8pm at the Menin Gate there is also much to see in the area and its only about an hour from the ports. If I can help further please ask I do have some GPX  stuff somewhere. 

Andyccu1

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 06:40:44 AM »
Thanks bikenav. Just came back from misseryland Paris with the kids a couple of weeks ago. My gt grandfather is buried next to mametz wood. We visited his grave enroute home. I saw the memorial, but didn't have time to stop. Defiantly needs another visit.