Author Topic: Do things change once you lose the L plates?  (Read 1047 times)

Gulfman

Do things change once you lose the L plates?
« on: April 30, 2017, 09:56:01 AM »
Hi all.

I'm learning on a 125 at the moment. I've driven cars for almost 20 years.

The question I have is, once I pass my test and lose the L plates do cars ease off you a bit?

Cars seem to constantly up my ass and pulling out on me. I even get taken over when I'm doing 30mph in a 30mph zone and get sly looks shaking their heads as they pass. They are breaking the speed limit not me.

It annoys me a bit and feel as I've got L plates on (front and back) they feel they can try and bully me on the road.

I just give the worst ones a salute that is known worldwide. 😆

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:58:11 AM by Gulfman »

philly46

Re: Do things change once you lose the L plates?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 10:09:29 AM »
Still unsure why people have an issue with L plates, just get them gone and reap the rewards of more cubes in your engine.

Ronski

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 10:09:58 AM »
I think they do . People see L platers  as being in the way  but saying that you do still get the knobs driving dangerously  close to your back tyre 

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Drop a gear snd disappear

Steeevio

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 10:42:05 AM »
When I was on L plates, I rode a Yamaha XT 125 and experienced the same issue, so I asked an instructor to tell me via helmet comms,  what his speedo indicated during a one hour lesson.
Mine was indicating a good deal more (20% ish)

Get someone to kit you up with helmet comms. (or better still, buy the one I`m selling  :hysteria... sorry I couldn't` resist the plug)

One of the previous owners must`ve changed the chain cogs or something on mine?  :dunno2
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 11:12:05 AM by Steeevio »

Steeevio

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 11:21:52 AM »
When I travel towards roadside speed indicators, they usually seem to register 2 or 3 miles per hour less than is shown on my speedometer (Cars and bikes)

And my satnav indicates that my vehicle is travelling about 5/10% less than the vehicle speedometer indicates.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 01:26:50 PM by Steeevio »

Gulfman

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 03:31:57 PM »
Thanks for the replys. I'll ask my buddy next time we are out to see how accurate my speed is. Really can't wait to lose the L plates, after going on a 'big' bike for the 1st time this month cannot believe the power difference. Addictive expensive fun. 😁

RV

• Elite Member
    • Casa Emilia
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 04:17:05 PM »
I taught my son to drive a car; I saw more dangerous driving by 'experienced' drivers during that period than in my whole life otherwise.

People doing crazy overtakes and pulling straight out in front, just to prove something that escapes me. If I did it again I'd have a dash-cam.
It is better to ride too slowly and wish that you were going quicker than to be too quick and wish that you were going slower.

Gulfman

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 04:35:24 PM »
Seems people do it alot to try and save 1 second. I find I get overtaken by them, then end up going in front of them as we hit traffic lights that turn to red. Then the process starts again.😮

Kie

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 05:35:14 PM »
I found a marked difference once i lost  the plates and moved to a big bike. Seems some people just cant take having a learner in front of them. Always had tailgating and forced overtakes particularly on my commute wirh the 125. Of course the extra cc does  mean it's  harder for them to get so close now too  :ride

Gulfman

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 07:12:39 PM »
Just another incentive to get my tests passed asap. Wish it wasn't such a long wait! 😁

wiztaff

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 07:39:51 PM »
When I travel towards roadside speed indicators, they usually seem to register 2 or 3 miles per hour less than is shown on my speedometer (Cars and bikes)

And my satnav indicates that my vehicle is travelling about 5/10% less than the vehicle speedometer indicates.

This is normal.

Under construction and use regulations, all vehicle speedometers have to have a positive bias unless it is a calibrated speedometer.

everton

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 10:16:28 PM »
hi ,once you pass your  test i bet you get a bigger bike then you will be up there ass waiting to pass  :hysteria :taunt
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:18:45 PM by everton »

wiztaff

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 11:48:42 AM »
 :lol2

Gulfman

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 06:56:42 PM »
Cheers guys. Oh naughty Everton I wouldn't dream of it. Honest!  🤔😂

welshstrider

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 11:47:09 AM »
Loose the L plate and ride a bigger bike cars will back off, but there are still plenty of muppets on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk