Author Topic: New Africa Twin  (Read 687 times)

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
New Africa Twin
« on: July 04, 2017, 09:25:09 PM »
What's the general opinion on these ? For a bike that was supposed to be a legend I don't see many or hear much about the new model. How to they fit in with the more popular adventure bikes like the Tex, KRM Adventure, BMW GS and so forth ? Is it mainly for the more off-road riders rather than on-road ?

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

The NH Youtube Channel - w w w. youtube.com/user/naggedhusband1

Thedarksider

• Elite Member
  • Peaceful Hooligan
Re: New Africa Twin
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 10:30:04 PM »
maybe you don't see them because they're a proper "adventure" bike not a fashion accessory :hiding

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 10:38:55 PM »
Maybe you're right they'll all off-road all the time.  :dunno2

I bought mine for comfort and touring though, no plans to go serious off-road, so not really a fashion accessory as I'm not an off-road wannabe.  Having said that we've been on some right rough bike-swallowing potholed roads over the years on euro tours following Snaffle's famous off-road Garmin .  :glum

yoyo

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 10:51:20 PM »
Considering the hype there aren't many of them seen on the road. They are bad value but there are concerns over the finish but no mechanical issues. I considered one before buying my S10 but I wanted cruise and shaft drive and would only do light off road. I think if I wanted a decent off roader  I'd look at a KTM  1190R

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 10:58:26 PM »
It is surprising that Honda revive a classic like the AT and it doesn't sell well. 

Jason

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 12:22:47 AM »
Power to weight for what is essentially a litre bike though apparently its set up for good torque in the areas you need it i.e offroad riding but how many are used offroad is probably nowhere near what Honda was trying to sell it for.
Top that off with poor finish, corroded rims within a few months of ownership, cheap plasticky bits i.e. indicator and screen fairing being one piece so if it breaks its a large part to have to replace, piss poor design of some of the components for a marketed semi offroad bike i.e. footpegs and on one the first models isolated reports of the Auto gearbox throwing itself into gear while sat stationary.
Seems it's mostly appealed to older guys that fancy riding a bike that shares its heritage in name only with a marque of the adventure bike world.
One guy turned up at the HUBB meeting last year on one, pitched up his tent then pitched up a pole Tarp to park the bike under  before sitting down on his 80 quid helinox foldaway chair  :nails

The new KTM 1090r shits on it from a great height in all aspects that its designed for with the 1190r being in a different class engine wise though it weighs around the same as the AT with 50 more horses on paper  :rofl

Having said that, if i had no other bike and was in the market for a plodder to trundle about on i'd probably have one as the weight is one of the lowest out of most modern 'adv bikes'.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:39:00 AM by Jason »

Ronski

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 07:17:10 AM »
I couldn't swing my leg over it unless I took a run up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Drop a gear snd disappear

Benson-1215

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 09:44:50 PM »
Was at the ABR Midlands rally this weekend every other bike seem to be a AT have to say they are growing on me.
 :ride