Author Topic: Spada Stelvio Waterproof Textile Jacket - Vintage Grey - EPIC!  (Read 950 times)

HollowPoint

Spada Stelvio Waterproof Textile Jacket - Vintage Grey - EPIC!
« on: September 11, 2017, 08:33:12 PM »
So my trusty Heine Gerrick jacket, given to me by a friend and allegedly waterproof, seems it's lost some of it's ability to repel water and now, rather soaks it up......so, a new waterproof jacket was in order. I bought the Spada Stelvio Waterproof Textile Jacket - Vintage Grey from www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk (MCN) and it arrived a couple of days ago.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/332335

Tonight was the first time I've had an opportunity to use it and only went out for a quick 20 minute blast up towards the Black Mountains and back, as it's getting late and I've got a long day tomorrow, but I can already tell you that this thing is EPIC! Combined with my new Spada Fleece Neck Warmer bought in the same order, I can confirm my entire top half was toasty warm, didn't feel the slightest bit of wind, it's very very comfortable and doesn't make half the horrible noises most textiles make when you move your arms around. I happen to think it looks really nice too. This was all without its inner thermal liner too, so I'm hoping in the Winter it's still toasty  :cold

Yet to test it's waterproof capability, but I've no doubt at all it's good, as other reviews of the jacket online sing its praises too.
If everything seems fine, you're not going fast enough

carling51

Re: Spada Stelvio Waterproof Textile Jacket - Vintage Grey - EPIC!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 06:47:32 PM »
I like that , I like that a lot  :bow

HollowPoint

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:31:38 PM »
I like that , I like that a lot  :bow

Tested in the wet today, definitely waterproof, however once wet, the wind chill does start to kick in quite a bit with the water chilling the wind even further. Some points today I could have done with the inner thermal liner, but at other points in the day, I'd have been sweltering if the inner liner was in it........nothing new there for bikers though, dress for the forecast and you're sure to get it wrong, lol.

HollowPoint

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 09:17:06 AM »
This jacket upset me today, it failed around the front zip, leaving me drenched from my thighs up to my chest within just a few minutes of riding to work :( It didn't just leak a bit, it just failed entirely to be waterproof, so I'm very disappointed in what was a very expensive jacket. It's stood up to plenty of rain, so possible the waterproofing has worn off, but I've only had it a few months, so that seems pretty poor?

Ronski

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 09:33:47 AM »
If it's raining . No matter what my gear claims to be .... I expect to get wet and accept  it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Drop a gear snd disappear

wiztaff

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 10:42:36 AM »
The old saying is you get what you pay for and to be fair most jackets priced at sub 200 are going to get you wet in the worst of weather. The main problem with this price range is that they tend to be of the Goretex lining variety where they outer shell is not waterproof so it retains water like most non waterproof material and then in excessively wet conditions, the volumes of water overwhelms the goretex liner and it just can't cope.

The best jackets are the Goretex laminate type where the goretex is not a liner but woven into the outer shell so the outer layer does not retain any water so it doesn't reach saturation point in the greatest of deluges of weather.

The downside is that these "laminate Goretex" jackets are not cheap and outside the remit of most bikers.

Being an all year round professional motorcyclist with no choice to cry off because of weather, I need the best I can get and I bought the Revit Poseidon Jacket (600 ish) and trousers (400 ish)  and to be fair, I have been as dry as a bone throughout some of the worst weather I have ridden in over the last year.

I am lucky in that my role as a motorcycle medic is in addition to my main NHS employment, so most of what I make from it is reinvested in running the bike, buying my medical supplies, keeping up my registrations and of course ensuring I have the best gear available to me, not a luxury that most bikers can afford.

HollowPoint

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 11:24:07 AM »
It was some pretty 'fat' rain this morning, but I'm certain this jacket has stood up to this weather before, so as I said perhaps I need to spray it with some nikwax or something, especially around the zip area where it failed. The trousers didn't fail and the jacket performed perfectly well everywhere but the zip..... just disappointed, as I quite like riding in proper rain, it's the drizzle with greasy roads I don't like so much.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Grayo

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 05:20:14 PM »
The old saying is you get what you pay for and to be fair most jackets priced at sub 200 are going to get you wet in the worst of weather.

Have to disagree. I have a set of Alpinestars textiles and last year we toured the Alps. It rained constantly from the time I left home to the time I got back (10 days). It wasn't drizzle either, it was Biblical, with inches of standing water on most roads and not a single drop of rain went through my textiles in 10 days. I think it also depends on the manufacturer as to the quality of textiles as both my jacket and trousers were sub 200 each. (About 170 ish each if I remember correctly).
Money can't buy happiness....................
But it buys beer which is the same thing.

Jason

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 07:36:22 PM »
I bought a 30 (on sale) Bulson adv jacket from HG lowestoft, definitely waterproof as tested quite a few times

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 07:39:26 PM »
My Richa jackets have always been pretty reliable when new or re-waterproofed. However II always carry a 2 piece waterproof oversuit in the topbox for if the weather looks seriously crap.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

The NH Youtube Channel - w w w. youtube.com/user/naggedhusband1

BOMBDOCTOR

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 08:23:58 PM »
I have RMP issue textiles (courtesy of No8). Started to let water in recently , but to be fair they've been used and abused hard. Worn in all weather's.

Got Fabsil tent reproofer , a 5 litre tin that I will use to reproof, paint it on with a brush too get into all the nooks and crannies  (and crooks and nannies). I fully expect to get at least another 5 year's out of them at least.

Andyccu1

• Elite Member
  • I love my chicken strips.
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 11:06:31 PM »
I've had an IXS jacket for two years now. Tested in the most extreme conditions in Scotland. My boots leaked (first time ever) but jacket trousers and gloves were fab.