Author Topic: Auritech Biker Ear Plugs - Jury still out, but definitely good.  (Read 700 times)

HollowPoint

Auritech Biker Ear Plugs - Jury still out, but definitely good.
« on: September 12, 2017, 09:23:05 PM »
The wind noise in my helmet is pretty awful sometimes and I really wanted to cure it, so a few weeks ago I picked up some Oxford Foam Earplugs, with a little plastic case. I've worn them precisely, once! Horrid feeling of being bunged up and not being able to hear ANYTHING at all. Everything muffled and horrid, not able to hear people talking to me until I got my helmet off and the ear plugs out.........so, I thought I'd give these little buggers a try. 20 is a steep price tag and I'm still not 100% certain they're worth their 20, especially as you only get 2 for that 20 and they're tiny, so I imagine, easy to lose! However, you do get a little metal tube to keep them in, with a screw on lid (With a rubber o-ring seal, I imagine making the case waterproof) and that has a keychain on it to attach to your keyring. I gave them a thorough test today, setting out towards Bridgend via the A474 and A48 and ending up on the M4 for 11 miles from Port Talbot to Bridgend, because I got sick of looking for the A48 (I lost it somehow, still not sure how). Then, I rode the Speed Triple in Bridgend without them in (Man that thing sounds awesome and I wanted the full unadulterated noise, hence no ear plugs), then rode back to Swansea with them in and a few more jaunts in and around Swansea, with them both in and out. I can definitely say they reduce the Wind Noise and they certainly reduce the volume of it, but they don't completely block it out at high speeds. They also give a really odd sensation when you walk somewhere (Getting off the bike to close the gate at home for example) where you can litterally hear your footsteps as a 'thud'. I can hear people talking to me with the helmet on and ear plugs in, so that's a pass, but I couldn't hear my cat meowing at me on the driveway when I got home! I could see him meowing and he has a REALLY loud Meow, but nope, nothing. Take the helmet off and he's definitely not lost his voice........

Would I say they're worth 20? I think so for me, yes, as I'm anal enough to constantly put them back in the little tin on my keychain and make sure I put them in before setting off, etc. etc. For others? I dunno, it really depends how keen you are to get rid of the wind noise (Or at least lessen it at higher speeds) and how likely you are to drop them, lose them, how big your ears are (They only just fit mine and I'm a tad nervous I might push them too far in to be honest), etc. The Jury is definitely still out on these things, but so far I think I'm impressed. Whilst there is still a muffling of certain sounds, they tend to be the sounds you want muffled (Wind Noise primarily) whilst you can still hear people talking. I'm a little concerned (Especially after the incident elsewhere in Wales earlier today involving a Police Landrover and a fellow Biker) that if I can't hear the cat meowing, does that mean I'm not going to hear sirens? Will keep testing and let you know if I can't, lol.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/209932
If everything seems fine, you're not going fast enough

Stevie W

• Elite Member
  • He who dies with the most toys wins.
Re: Auritech Biker Ear Plugs - Jury still out, but definitely good.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 01:43:37 PM »
I've used Auritech for a while now and they certainly cut the noise level down whilst you're still aware of what's around you sound wise.  The only issue i had was after a while they start to go soft , lose their shape and split.  I've now replaced them with a similar product from Pinlock, they're fitted with a removable filter and each pack  comes with 2 sets of different size plugs giving a better chance of a snug fit.

Adventure Bikes are like Garlic Bread "I've tasted it,  It's the future".

HollowPoint

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 01:47:08 PM »
Good to know, if I experience the same I'll look to replace them with the pinlock ones.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Grayo

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 03:59:44 PM »
I use the Ultimate Ear plugs which I bought at the NEC last year. They were doing your ear impressions for free if you ordered them at the show which would normally cost around 25. The ear plugs are not cheap at 80 a pair but they do fit inside your ears perfectly as you would expect, are very comfortable to wear and block out nearly all noise. I have the ones with the filter fitted so I can still use bike to bike intercom whilst wearing them and can still hear the other person or sat nav quite clearly.
Money can't buy happiness....................
But it buys beer which is the same thing.

HollowPoint

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:05:17 PM »
Can you hear the exhaust/engine as well though? Or does that get wiped out with the wind noise?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Grayo

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 04:18:35 PM »
There is no wind noise at all and you can only just hear the engine very faintly. To me, these plugs are worth every penny.
Money can't buy happiness....................
But it buys beer which is the same thing.