Author Topic: Filtering......talk to me  (Read 2748 times)

Gulfman

Filtering......talk to me
« on: September 26, 2017, 08:50:08 PM »
Filtering what's right and what's wrong.

I'm enjoying filtering now the L plates are off, i don't feel so cheeky now, and a bit more pulling power off the line helps.

Still getting the dirty looks and beeping from some people though. Although others are great and try and give me extra space.

When filtering what are the rules....i feel I do it safely as I can by going slow and observing what's going on but.....

When you get to the front and the traffic lights are on red, where do you put yourself?

I have been stopping next to the front car,  in the middle if there are 2 lanes Or slightly in front of them, behind the white line. Do you go in front of them or hover by their side?

When filtering and the traffic starts moving again, say mid filter, do you just slot in anywhere safe? What do you do?

Just looking for some tips and to see what others do!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ronski

• Elite Member
Re: Filtering......talk to me
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 09:15:35 PM »
There isn't a right or a wrong rule to filtering  but the general rule most apply  is to keep it slow and steady as there are dangers everywhere between lanes ..i.e cars suddenly changing lanes . When I get to the lights I sit in front to prevent any would be chancers thinking they can beat me or try and muscle their way past , if you sit next to them they might not see you.   When the traffic is moving at a more constant pace I just slot in anywhere and thank the person behind . I once had to filter from Pyle to neath on m4 and the looks I  got were  funny but that's a plus side to biking sometimes . You just do what you think is safe at that time . 

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:17:45 PM by Ronski »
Drop a gear snd disappear

Gulfman

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 09:40:59 PM »
Cheers for the reply @Ronski

I'm enjoying doing it and it's another bonus of having a bike.

It's something I'm getting used too, but can't help feeling like I'm the one in the wrong.

I've noticed people trying muscle me out of the way or get in front of me off the line. The little Rebel hasn't let me down yet 😁

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kie

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 10:15:40 PM »
As Ronski said there are no real rules for filtering but I generally only do it up to 15 or 20mph and always looking ahead for any signs of cars changing lanes and covering brake and clutch.

I don't usually have issues with anyone but you do get the occasional car block you out. I just wait until the gap appears and carry on past. Some people are just jealous they're stuck in their car.

As for stopping at lights etc I tend to stop a car back as if you're next to the front car there's a possibility of them trying to race you and the cars behind it can't go at speed anyway.

Pop5259

• I only
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 10:23:07 PM »
Much the same advice if there is a Red bycycle lane I pull into that and wait for the lights as others have said you do get the jealous ones but generally slow speed through the traffic be aware and acknowledge anyone who pulls over for you they are probably bikers or x bikers anyway
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to do.😎

Cheesy Wotsits

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 11:53:56 PM »
Don't venture into the red cycle area at the front.
100 fine and 3 points right there!

Read the situation ahead of you.
If one of the lead cars is a performance car, muscle car, or possibly a boy racer in his Shitroen Paxo, position yourself alongside their rear wheel.
If it's gran or gramp in a Volvo, pull up to the line.
If in doubt, stay back.

And never, NEVER pull alongside an arctic truck wheel. If that tyre blows, your in a whole heap of hurt!
"The lunatics are taking over the asylum"

HollowPoint

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 08:00:09 AM »
Much the same as everyone else has said, plus the golden rule of filtering "It's not a requirement to filter". There are places I just won't filter, like the bottom if the rhyd-y-fro hill at Pontardawe cross. I will filter about as far as Ponty Cafe, then stop. I've absolutely no desire to be at the front of that queue with massive dump trucks and such coming around that corner......also, if you come up against cars that you can't fit through in a two lane scenario, I just sit there. If I'm not sure I can fit, I don't try. If they move aside, great, if not, oh well. Last night I was filtering very slow moving traffic on the Clydach bypass coming up to the Neath roundabout and a woman in an Astra I think it was, started moving towards the solid white line. I slowed and used some revs, she hasn't seen me and promptly lifted her hand to say sorry and moved over to the left to let me through. Had she stayed put, I'd have taken my time and passed slowly if/when safe to do so.

Main thing to remember, is that filtering is legal provided, that all road signs, rules and markings are obeyed. That means staying behind the white line at lights, being in the correct lane at a junction, obeying the Speed limit, when there's a solid white line, you can overtake if there's room to do so without crossing it, or by crossing it if the traffic is doing less than 10mph.

I had a coach decide to deliberately block me near the M4 end of the Clydach bypass the other morning. I couldn't see around him and there was a solid white line. I just took the extra time I needed to inch further out to the right once he was unable to move anymore and once I could see past him and knew I was safe to do so, I sent past him. Don't think he was happy, but it was legal and safe......

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If everything seems fine, you're not going fast enough

Thedarksider

• Elite Member
  • Peaceful Hooligan
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 08:54:02 AM »
Don't venture into the red cycle area at the front.
100 fine and 3 points right there!

same for the solid white stop line at lights

wiztaff

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 02:24:42 PM »
Despite what some websites claim, filtering is neither legal or illegal since it is not provided for in legislation.

Filtering is therefore "tolerated" as long as it is done safely and within "reasonable" parameters.

Generally, this means that "filtering" should not be done in traffic doing 15-20 mph + , filtering past anything doing more than that would probably be considered by plod as possible dangerous driving. (And you see m/cyclists on the M25 "filtering" when the traffic is travelling at "normal" road speeds :rolleyes)

If the traffic is moving slowly, then your filtering speed should be no more than 5 mph above their crawl (on regularly busy roads, a lot of tin boxers regularly switch lanes suddenly without checking) and if stationery, dependant on lane widths and gap sizes no more than 10-15 mph.

I quite often run the gauntlet of London's biggest car park, the M25 and on one return home I filtered about 30 miles from the leatherhead junction on the M25 all the way to the Reading turnoff on the M4.

Some vehicle drivers do get a little jealous but many will give you extra space when they see you coming, which is one advantage of riding a marked bike, it is like the parting of the red sea and indeed, when I was filtering on the above mentioned day, I had about 6 bikers following me though the traffic that was letting me through :rofl 

Definitely don't sit in the cycle reserves, it will get you a ticket and points, especially where cameras are present.

Ronski

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 03:37:37 PM »
When I said I sit in front at the lights i meant only when there is room or space . Like cheesy said asess  the situation before you get there 👍

Andyccu1

• Elite Member
  • I love my chicken strips.
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 04:42:28 PM »
Don't do it like this.

No idea who the rider was.

HollowPoint

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 05:54:41 PM »
Let's get really specific, filtering is lawful, because there is no legislation against it. Filtering is nothing more than overtaking another vehicle when you have the room to do so, which is perfectly legal, provided you do so within the legislation surrounding overtaking. Whilst there's no legislation for filtering itself, there is guidance within the highway code for both us and cagers, so it's more than 'tolerated', it's expected and understood, with no serious campaigns or pressure groups against it, no pending legislation to prevent, or change it, etc. Stick to the road laws, signs and markings and use your own common sense and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If everything seems fine, you're not going fast enough

wiztaff

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 06:47:02 PM »
"Filtering" has no legal status, since there is no specific legislation to give it's legal status, therefore it is neither legal or illegal, so in itself it is not strictly "lawful," but the opposing precedence also exists that it is not strictly unlawful either, unless of course something goes wrong and an incident occurs which would then be tested on the specifics of the circumstances and it could go either way, dependant on who's riding/driving contributed most to the collision.

Similarly, any observing plod may consider a particular way that a rider is "filtering" on motorways would constitute a breech of rule 268 and may constitute an offence of DD or due care etc.

On other roads, providing the filtering is done in a safe manner then there should be no problems, but again if plod thinks the manner of riding is not to a "reasonable" safe standard, then charges of DD-due care etc may be forthcoming.

That is the problem that "filtering" having no legal status throws up, it is all to be tested in the courts at some time, unless of course the legislative process catches up and makes it a legal manoeuvre with legally defined parameters!

Andyccu1

• Elite Member
  • I love my chicken strips.
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 07:48:12 PM »
Id go with wiz on this one. He knows more about it than most.

Ronski

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 08:48:31 PM »
Don't do it like this.

No idea who the rider was.
Erm you ??