Author Topic: My dream bike turned into a project  (Read 223 times)

gibbzy2k1

My dream bike turned into a project
« on: May 18, 2018, 09:17:47 AM »
So as some of you know on the 19th Aug last year I bought my childhood dream bike. a 1997 Honda CBR1100xx Super Blackbird. 3 hours later I crashed it. Since then it has become a bit of a project to get it back up to scratch.

Parts I had to replace were the nose cone, windscreen, mirror and headlight / dash mount frame. So with the help of Jaws I bought a brand new nose cone and screen, plus a headlight protector. Took the bike to a local motor factors to get some paint matched up as the bike wasn't standard colour. Turns out the Black is standard Honda black and the orange was Lambo California Orange.

With some lovely people from this forum I also managed to get a wing rack, top box, spare seat, Haynes manual etc.

And so it began. My dad painted all the parts for me over the winter months and I finally started putting them back on the bike about a month ago. The MOT is due at the end of the month and I knew it needed 2 new discs up front. So Again from Jaws I bought a set of discs for the front and a full set of EBC pads. and set to work.

Whilst fitting all the brakes the one caliper on the front wouldn't allow the pistons to seat all the way back and I couldn't get the caliper and pads over the disc. So front calipers back off and stripped down with all new seals. Finally all the brakes were put back together last night and I started bleeding the system. I need to finish bleeding the system either this evening or tomorrow and refit the screen and some of the plastics.

The caliper rebuild was a fun process. I took both calipers off and used a tyre pump to push the pistons out. This worked on one caliper but not the other, with only 1 of the 3 pistons coming out. So I had to refit the calipers, bleed the system, use the brakes for force the pistons out using clamps to hold some pistons in to get other to move. The remove the caliper and clean them and the pistons. Replace all the seals, bleed nipples and washer to refit and then re-bleed the system.

On the plus side; a caliper rebuild is one of the tasks I have also wanted to do.

Fingers crossed she will be finished by the end of the weekend. I will then give her a good clean and add some photos on here. Just in time for for the bank holiday weekend!

Cheesy Wotsits

• Elite Member
Re: My dream bike turned into a project
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 09:25:09 AM »
Great stuff. Looking forward to the pics and seeing it with my own eyes one day.
"The lunatics are taking over the asylum"

gibbzy2k1

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 08:28:10 PM »
Definitely. Any ride outs planned? I know there was something about one end of june?

gibbzy2k1

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 06:57:17 PM »
Finally back on my drive. 9 months later and she is looking damn nice. I'll give her a wash tomorrow and get some photos up.