Author Topic: Going forward  (Read 1653 times)

carling51

Going forward
« on: August 02, 2018, 07:23:08 PM »
Have we all had any ideas on what we are going to do with the forum ?

I think the licence runs out in November so maybe we need to decide what we're going to do

rockcatch

• Walking in Snowdonia
Re: Going forward
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 01:52:42 PM »
My thoughts are still to go with a Facebook group. Itís free, and the two I use that are bike related (Tracer 900, and U.K. Bikers touring Europe) all get plenty of posts. Most seem to be good quality posts, although I donít know how much moderation is needed to keep it like that.

Thedarksider

• Elite Member
  • Peaceful Hooligan
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 04:03:49 PM »
there is a facebook page, nobody uses that either, other than Tony

Zed

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 08:16:12 PM »
If Facebook, I think better is group than page. Easier to find in side menu.

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 09:30:03 PM »
I've just spotted this post so i'll give my thoughts, the options as I see it are as follows.

1. There's already a DB facebook page open to everyone so just use that. The problem I see with that is virtually nobody has posted anything on it in almost 5 years. So bearing that in mind would anyone bother once the forum closed, probably not.

2. Set up a DB facebook closed group with new members having to be approved and with one or more people as administrators to manage it. There are already a lot of fb closed groups though including a few in south Wales. Having said that a lot of people, like me, are members of a few groups. They tend to be quite active but many members never meet each other and so there tends to be keyboard warrior clashes with some people getting thrown out and banned. It's also almost impossible to trace old posts and subjects so you don't have any history or sections to search back through. The same applies to just using the existing DB fb page. Bear in mind it tends to be a different type of atmosphere in an fb group compared to a forum, not worse just different.

3. Raise the money to keep the DB forum going with someone taking over the responsibility of running it and managing the back-end stuff. To renew the site hosting and malware monitoring will be £258 for 2 years. Renewal  date in November 7th.

4. Raise the money to keep the DB forum going and leave it ticking over under my name as it has been for the last few months. I can set someone else up as an additional admin able to to oversee the general day to day stuff on the forum (no back-end stuff).

If keeping the forum going you have to decide exactly what you want from it. It needs someone to drive it and generate interest with regular posts, rideouts, meets, maybe short tours etc. That's the only way to get people involved  and make it worthwhile. Maybe as a starting point you could start a poll of who wants the forum to continue to give you an idea of what interest there is among the members, I'd be quite interested to see that myself.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:50:23 PM by NH »
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

The NH Youtube Channel - w w w. youtube.com/user/naggedhusband1

BOMBDOCTOR

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 07:23:05 AM »
I'm not as active on here as i used to be.
(Some would say thats a good thing).

However, it would be a shame to allow DB to fade into the ether. I would happily chuck in a few quid to keep the forum alive.

carling51

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 04:05:13 PM »
I'd quite happily contribute money to it and help admin the forums  :thumbup2

Zed

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 05:30:31 PM »
And I can find few quid for keep forum running.

gibbzy2k1

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 10:15:05 PM »
I'd be happy to donate a few quid. I would love to help out and post more but work and family life is tight as it is so cannot commit time. In fact I have only been on one hour ride for pleasure this year. All other trips on the bike have been for work.

I was a member of an MG forum and paid a membership of about 12 quid a year for a few years until I sold the cars. Would a subscription work? Might get people to use it more if they are paying for it.

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 02:07:58 PM »
Seven people respond in four days... this is the problem here Iím afraid.  :dunno

wiztaff

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 10:32:26 PM »
Make that 8

Cheesy Wotsits

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 05:56:10 AM »
Don't know what to think, or opinion to offer I'm afraid.
"The lunatics are taking over the asylum"

Charlesy

• Elite Member
  • Cookie is my Monster :-)
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 09:52:46 PM »
Itís easier to offer a few quid than commit to time for most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NH

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Play nicely now people
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 07:13:57 PM »
Clocks ticking for ideas. Iíve made this post a sticky.

carling51

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 07:59:30 PM »
To be honest I'm happy with number 4 , I can put some money in but can't pay it all